- The Fund pays compensation to Fund members in cases of accidents and sickness as further prescribed by these rules. The Fund also supports preventive actions in the field of health promotion and preventive measures against disease according to item 5.
- Those who belong to the Fund and enjoy sick pay rights according to article 2.2.1 in the BSRB agreement on sick pay rights are entitled to receive sickness benefits or support from the Fund on condition that it has been paid to the Fund on their behalf for the minimum of six months prior to allocation.
- Sickness benefits are paid from the Fund as follows:
- Sickness benefits are paid as of the time when contract-/statutory payment of wages from the employer ends.
- Sickness benefits shall amount to 80% of the average total salary during the last 12months. If the employment period is shorter the amount shall be determined by the average salary during that time.
- It is authorized to pay sickness benefits proportionally if a Fund member cannot in case of illness work full time upon doctor’s advice.
- It is authorized to pay sickness benefits for up to 60 days in case of chronic illness suffered by the Fund member’s partner or children on the condition that he loses wages on account of them. Children are 18 years old or younger. The Fund member shall nevertheless have reached one year of membership in order to qualify for this entitlement.
- Fund members’ right to sickness benefits on a 12-month basis is:
- Employment period 6 to 12 months, 45 days.
- Employment period longer than 12 months, 90 days, however such that the total period of payment from the employer and the Fund will never be longer than 360 days. Furthermore, it is authorized to pay sickness benefits for up to 45 days to those that have exhausted a 360 day sick pay right with the employer.
Payment of sickness benefits cannot exceed the period during which the employee is hired.
- The Fund supports the following:
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 6 of the last 12 months receives: a grant for physical therapy, therapeutic massage, acupuncture, chiropractic treatment, ISK 2.500 for each time, up to 25 times a year. Also for training at the Heart and Lung Centre or similar institutions. Payment for these cases cannot be more than ISK 62.500 a year.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 6 of the last 12 months receives a grant for cancer screening for a maximum of ISK 8.800, once a year. If further screening is needed a payment of up to ISK 10.000 is granted.
A Fund member receives a grant for colon cancer and prostate screening for a maximum of ISK 10.000.
A Fund member receives a grant for a checkup at the Icelandic Heart Association and the company Heilsuvernd for up to ISK 20.000 once a year.
- The Fund participates in the travel expenses of Fund members who need to travel between different parts of the country for operation or examination upon doctor’s advice, on grounds of themselves, their partners or children, on condition that it has been paid to the Fund on their behalf for 6 of the last 12 months. An application for support must be submitted to the Social Insurance Administration. If the request is turned down, the Fund pays ISK 10.000 for 250 – 400 km driving, ISK 15.000 for 400 – 600 km driving, ISK 20.000 for 600 – 800 km driving and ISK 25.000 for 800 km driving or more. The criteria is a journey both ways. It will be paid for a maximum of three journeys every 12 months. The Fund management is authorized to deviate from these criteria if important reasons are given.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 12 of the last 24 months receives a grant for a maximum of ISK 23.000 a year against invoices from the following parties. Health clubs, swimming pools, ski resorts or a sports club. Also for health care deemed comparable by the Fund management. The Fund does not support the buying of punch cards for swimming pools.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 12 of the last 24 months receives a grant to adopt a child, ISK 200.000 for one time. Furthermore, a Fund member receives a grant for artificial insemination for up to ISK 150.000 every 24 months.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 12 of the last 24 months receives a grant for laser eye-surgery/lens replacement surgery, ISK 50.000 for one eye or ISK 100.000 for both eyes. Also, a Fund member receives a grant to buy glasses once every 36 months. The grant amounts to 50% of the cost that exceeds ISK 45.000, however, no more than ISK 40.000.
- A Fund member who has been a Union member for 12 of the last 24 months receives a grant for treatment at health rehabilitation centers and spa hotels. The payment is ISK 2.500 per day for up to 42 days a year.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 12 of the last 24 months receives a grant for treatment by the following acknowledged therapists: A social worker, a family consultant or a psychologist. Half of the invoice amount is paid (the part paid by the Fund member), however, ISK 80.000 at maximum per year. A grant will not be allocated if this service is available at health care clinics.
- A grant of ISK 200.000 will be paid in the case of a funeral on account of those Fund members who have been employed for at least 12 months continuously before the demise.
- A grant of ISK 200.000 will be paid on account of a funeral of previous Fund members who have retired or gone on pension/disability pension during the last 5 years and had been Fund members during the last 12 months before retirement.
- A grant of ISK 100.000 will be paid on account of a funeral of Fund members who have retired or gone on pension/disability pension after 1.1.2002 and had been Fund members during 12 months continuously before retirement.
- A grant of ISK 100.000 will be paid in the case of a funeral of Fund members’ children, children are 18 years old or younger.
- The grant will be paid to the person in charge of the funeral arrangements.
- The Fund management is authorized to make exceptions to the above-mentioned rules and allocate a grant in special circumstances that may result in the loss of salary or great expenses of the Fund member due to his illness or that of close family members.
- A Fund member who has belonged to a Union for 12 of the last 24 months can apply for a grant because of dental cost. The grant amounts to 50% of the cost that exceeds ISK 50.000 during a period of 24 months, however, no more than ISK 150.000. The right to allocation from the Fund is not restored until 12 months after the end of the 24-month period. It is possible to apply for the grant more than once during a 24-month period. Receipts/operation dates may never be older than 12 months.
- A Fund member who has belonged to the Union for 12 of the last 24 months can apply for a grant to purchase hearing aids. The grant amounts to 50% of the cost that exceeds ISK 50.000, however, no more than ISK 150.000. The criteria is a purchase of two hearing aid devices during a 36-month period.
- A Fund member who has been working during the last six months before the birth of a child and has a valid employment contract at the beginning of the maternity leave has a right to receive a grant. The grant amount will be calculated in accordance with the amount of premium paid to the Fund during the last 12 months, if the premium payment amounts to ISK 33.300 the allocation will be ISK 240.000. If the premium amount is lower than this the grant will be reduced relative to the paid premium.The grant doubles in the case of a twin birth and triples in the case of a triplets birth. The same rules apply in the case of adoption of children younger than 5 years of age. Half of the grant amount will be paid in the case of miscarriage after 18 weeks of pregnancy and stillbirth. An application must reach the Fund within 18 months after the birth of a child.
- Fund membership:
General rights. Fund members acquire right to allocation from the BSRB Benefits Fund after 6 or 12 months of premium payment.
The transfer of the right between funds. A Fund member acquires right to allocation after one month of premium payment if he had, prior to that payment period, a right to allocation from the fund of another union, on condition that that fund granted a similar right to former members of the BSRB Benefits Fund.
During maternity leave. Fund members who go on maternity leave and choose to pay union fees for the duration of the maternity leave retain full rights.
During an unpaid leave. The right to allocation from the Fund is cancelled during an unpaid leave of absence but the right is immediately restored at the first premium payment after the leave ends.
At retirement. The right to allocation from the BSRB Benefits Fund is cancelled when a Fund member changes union and the Fund only allocates grants on account of the expenses of a Union member while employed.
A Fund member who retires because of age or disability retains his right for 6 months after retirement.
The unemployed who pay fees to unions which belong to the Fund can apply for grants according to the following articles: 5a, 5b, 5d, 5h and article 6. The unemployed do not acquire rights during the period they are out of work but maintain the right they enjoyed while employed. If the unemployed loose benefits because of illness the Fund can support them with an amount corresponding to 100% unemployment benefits for up to 45 days.
- Applications and rules:
Applications and documents. Applications can be made online on the Fund’s website at styrktarsjodur.bsrb.is.
A copy of the invoice, stating the applicant’s name and ID number, dates and amounts, must be submitted. The stamp or symbol of the acknowledged therapist or firm that issues the invoice must figure on the invoice and receipts or operation dates must never be older than one year old at the time of application to the Fund. All documents, which the Fund management considers necessary each time, shall accompany applications. Grants are paid out from the Fund at least monthly. An application must be submitted before the 15th of each month but, as a rule, grants are paid out on the last day of each month or the next working day thereafter. The Fund management reserves the right to change the rules with three months’ notice as needed, whether it is in order to restrict or expand the rules. This will be determined by the financial position of the Fund each time.
Valid as of January 1st 2020